Ask a Dentist   »  

Dental implant surgery done. Feeling painful jaw and lump on the side of neck. Relief?

Hi, I have recently had dental implant surgery which has left my upper jaw and gums very painful.
However, now I find I have a painful lower jaw (where no surgery took place) and what feels like a painful lump the size of a large marble on the left hand side of my neck. I can't consult a doctor until Monday so wondered if you could help?
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that post implant surgery, symptoms like pain and swelling persist until complete healing takes places and this takes about 5 to 7 days. Sometimes it might take 10 - 15 days also.

However painful lumps in the lower jaw can suggest inflammation probably due to carious tooth or following a throat infection. You will definitely need further evaluation. You can use ice compresses over the affected area; warm saline rinses (3-4 times/day with antibacterial mouth rinse (twice/day) and take anti-inflammatory pain killer such as Advil 400mg twice a day until your next appointment. If symptoms worsen you may need to visit the ER.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries kindly write back,

I wish you good health.