Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. When will my periods come?

Hi m 24yrs periods were due on 15 to17 of dis month..but are late.and on 19th XXXXXXX i had unprotectd sex with my bf.n after 40 hrs i had unwanted 72. Nw i wanted to knw the time wen my periods will they are already late before i had sex.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Delayed periods in a female of reproductive age should always raise the possibility of a pregnancy, especially if she has been exposed to unprotected sexual intercourse. In your case, I strongly suggest you get a pregnancy test done.

It is however not unusual to observe delayed periods in some young women to experience physiologic delayed periods, usually due to cycles where ovulation does not occur (anovulatory cycles). However, a pregnancy must be excluded first before this possibility is considered.

Having had sexual intercourse after a delayed period would actually have no impact on the real outcome. If its a pregnancy already, nothing actually changes. The most important thing to be done is getting a good pregnancy test done. A blood sample Beta HCG test is preferable since it is very sensitive.

A suggest you consult your prescription of an appropriate pregnancy test.

It might difficult to predict when the periods could return without ruling out a possibility of pregnancy first.

Feel free asking any further questions if need be. Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.