Delayed periods. Had sex during fertile period. Having headache and sharp abdominal cramps. Test showed faint lines for pregnancy. Pregnant?

Hi, I am just wondering what the chances of being pregnant could be? Here is the situation. My husband and I have been trying to conceive since July 2011, I fell pregnant last year in May but had a missed miscarriage and had a D&C in July and we have had nothing since. My husband and I had sex on the 12,14 and 16 April which was when my fertile window was supposed to be. I did a pregnancy test on the 30th April as I was due my period on the 1st May and the test came back with a very very faint positive line but then on the 2nd May I got what I thought was my period. So I was due to get my period on the 1st XXXXXXX and still have not got it yet? I have had a few days of headaches and on Monday night was having some sharp abdominal pains which I never really thought anything of. Is there any chance I could be pregnant or what could be a possible explanation. I also had a pap smear on the 30th May? I am quite confused as to why I am late with my period?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pregnancy is the most common reason for delayed period though there are other causes.

You can consider waiting 4 to 5 more days to see if your period comes, if it does not then you can do a home pregnancy test. These tests check for HCG which should be present in the urine 12 days to 14 days after conception has occured.
If you wish to know sooner you can either ask your doctor for a blood HCG level.

The other causes of delayed period are (1)emotional stress,
(2)physical stress,
(3)abnormal levels of thyroid hormone,
(4)extreme physical activity,
(5)high levels of a hormone called prolactin,
(6)inadequate diet and
(7)a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is diagnosed if a woman has two of the following: a) cysts in the ovaries (b) irregular periods (c ) evidence of increase of the male hormones which are usually present in small quantities

If the pregnancy test is taken at an appropriate time and negative and the period is significantly delayed then your doctor may assess you for any of the above.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions