Delayed period with nausea, brown spotting, urine pregnancy test negative. Should I go for blood test?

Question
my period is late for one day, I have nausea after eating and around noon from past week; I was supposed to get my period yesterday (and from two, three weeks ago I have period like cramps) but I have brown spotting instead.I took a pregnancy test 3 days ago and today but it was negative, I am not sure if is it still too soon for hCG hormone to be shown in my urine? or it will be other issues. If I get blood test does it show the hormone level now?My period is so irregular and sometimes I get it very late but normally as soon as I get brown discharge it will start. This time though I got that spotting exactly at correct time but for two days only very little spotting happened and no blood.
P.S: around three weeks ago I had ultrasound and hystonography from abdomen, pelvis and uterus and they told me it was clear(negative).
I am not sure but I think recently I have a little bit intolerance from some specific smells.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later

Thank you for your health concerns.

It is reasonable still to consider early pregnancy in the differential. Since you have urine HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin ) would detect hormone starting the day after you miss a period, but this is not perfect.

A reasonable course of action would be to wait a bit more (eg. 1 week) and obtain a serum HCG instead of urine at that time.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best, blessings,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN USA