Delayed period with all signs of pregnancy but negative blood work. What should be done?

Mar 2016

hi, I am 22 days late on my period, have all the signs and symptoms of being pregnant but have a negative test including blood work. I KNOW I am pregnany. I can feel it. what do I do??
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later

First of all, you need to undergo one Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) which helps to rule out conception if any and pelvic pathology. TVS scan is highly reliable and superior to all other investigations.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are ovarian cyst, thyroid disturbance (hypothyroid state), over weight or rapid loss, stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, psychological factor, irregular diet habit, high prolactin level, pelvic infection etc.

Here, you need to consult with your gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like hormone assay, thyroid profile, vaginal swab test, blood sugar & prolactin level etc) after a physical examination if pregnancy is ruled out. Complete treatment depends on underlying etiology.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs. Keep bowel habit regular.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times) or meditation.
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene. Take sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Delayed period with all signs of pregnancy but negative blood work. What should be done? 2 minutes later
I know that im pregnant. im not stressed or doing anything differently. I have ovrian cycts amd endometriosis and am on medication for that and periodd have been normal aince being on meds. should I talk to my dr about a tvs??
Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Without positive pregnancy test or scan report, you can't say that you are pregnant on the basis of clinical features. Though early home pregnancy test or blood test is not so reliable and you may get negative test. Sometimes late pregnancy also gives negative result.

Therefore, you consult with your doctor to proceed TVS scan at the earliest. It is 100% confirmatory test of pregnancy.

Hope it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr Soumen