Delayed period. Took dydrogesterone tablet. Is this the reason?

I am delayed by 2 days. My ovulation day was on 13th day. Today is 18dpo . i got negative result in home pregrancy test. i had taken dydrogesterone tablet till 2 days before(ie till 16dpo).Is there any possibility for pregrancy ? or my periods are late because of dydrogesterone intake ? please help me
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It sounds as though you have a solid handle on your cycles. I am assuming that you are doing some form of ovulation detection as well. The progesterone supplementation that you are taking during the second half of your cycle is most certainly 'extending' that half of your cycle and certainly could lead to a slight delay in when you get your period. So, when you state that you are 2 days late, it sounds normal at this point given the progesterone supplementation.

As far as IF you are pregnant, it is also possible that the test has not turned positive at this point. In most cases I would expect it to have turned positive by now, but not in all cases.

I would not give up hope if you are not pregnant with this cycle. If your partner has not done a semen analysis, this should be done as well (I find that this is often forgotten).

I hope that this helps - please ask if you have followup questions!
Follow-up: Delayed period. Took dydrogesterone tablet. Is this the reason? 6 minutes later
If am not pregnant ? when can i expect my periods ? Usually my cycle is reguler for 28 days ... now it is 32 days and i had dydrogeterone from 14th day of my cycle till 29th day.? My doctor said that if you are not getting positive result for home pregrancy test on 10th of may , then forsure you are not pregnant . If that is the case , when i can expct my period ? or cani do pregnancy test again ? please reply
I stopped dydrogesterone on 7th may (29th day of my cycle).. If i dint get period till 15th may(37th day ie 24dpo) then can i be pregnant ? or still my periods can be delayed ?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 42 minutes later
In cases of women whom we give progesterone to to induce a period who did NOT ovulate, once they finish the course of progesterone, it is not unusual to take 3-5 days before they notice the start of a period. So in your case, it might be anywhere from 3-5 days (perhaps even up to 7 days) after discontinuing the progesterone.

I would repeat the pregnancy test about one week after when you last checked. At that point, if it is negative, then you are not pregnant.

I hope that this answers all of your questions - let me know!