Delayed period. Reason?

Mar 2016

I a 4 day late last month I have 2 time my period
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, irregular bleeding is quite common prior to menopause or near peri-menopausal age group and it occurs mostly due to hormonal dysfunction. Hyperstimulation of the ovary by pituitary hormones may be responsible for two times bleeding in previous cycle.

Other reasons are stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication, thyroid disturbance, pelvic or vaginal infection etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to perform complete health check up including pelvic examination. Some relevant investigation may be needed to pin point the diagnosis.

In the mean time, following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables and vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Delayed period. Reason? 8 minutes later
I am late
Answered by Dr. S Patra 15 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Period date may alter/ delay 1-7 days and cycle varies from 21-35 days. It is considered as normal thing and mostly occurs due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress. It is more common prior to menopause.

Here, you can wait for few days and undergo one home pregnancy test after 7 days & one blood test for beta-hcg if you have doubt in pregnancy.

In exclusion of pregnancy, taking progesterone pill for 5-7 days is quite helpful to induce your period. Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this to get a prescription. Along with you should follow previous suggestive measures for healthy life style. It helps to get period in time.

Hope this helps you. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck. Don't be tensed.

Dr Soumen