Dear Doctor, My Father is 71yrs old, in July 2016

Gastroenterologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
My Father is 71yrs old, in July 2016 he had gallbladder removal operation , again in April 2017 due to stone found in bile duct, he undergone ERCP procedure to remove the stone. Are there chances of stone being formed again in bile duct? , if so, is there any medication available to dissolve the stone or to prevent the stone formation ?
Thanks a lot.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urodeoxycholic acid tablet can be taken.

Detailed Answer:

Hello my dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Few factors which lead to gall stone formation are-

1)Too much cholestrol in blood-This causes precipitation of cholestrol from bile hence leading to gallstone formation.
2)Increased level of bilirubin in bile-Bilirubin is produced when liver destroys old red blood cells. Conditions like liver damage cause your liver to produce more bilirubin which starts precipitating in hepato-biliary tract.

As your father has tendency to form stones there is a possibility of gallstone formation in future also.
How to prevent it?
Initially get Lipid profile test done.In case level of cholestrol is high therapy with Statins should be taken.

Start taking Urodeoxycholic acid tablet 300 mg once daily.Ursodeoxycholic acid reduces elevated liver enzyme levels by facilitating bile flow through the liver and protecting liver cells.Initial therapy for 3 months should be taken.

Ask your father to do walking and physical exercises daily for 30 minutes.This would prevent crystallization of salts.

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.

Regards!