Dealing with panic disorder which is increasing day by day. Took drug. Not cured. What should i do?

I have been dealing with generalized anxiety/panic disorder for a few years now and it has worsened quickly over the past 6 months to the point I have 4-10 panic attacks a day. I've done therapy, CBT, hypnotherapy and taken every drug under the sun which only made my condition worse. Is there a 'natural' therapy that works? I've read about valerian, but am tired of spending money only to be disappointed.
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

If there is no response to CBT, Hypnosis and Medicines for Generalised anxiety and Panic disorder, then there is certainly doubt over natural therapy, as these therapy do not get tested scientifically.

Generalised anxiety and Panic disorder are very much disabling and treatable conditions. Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes months to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it.

Some time patient (40% cases) did not improve with initial treatment, in that case one of the following steps are used:
-Detection and correction of vitamin deficiency (especially vitamin B12): so take vitamin supplement and fruits/milk in diet.
-Screening of thyroid dysfunction: Get serum T3/T4 and TSH level done
-Monitor Blood pressure
-Checking adrenalin and nor adrenal level in blood
-Checking serum cortisol level
-Checking compliance to treatment: Take medicine regularly: as medicine used to show effect after 4-6 weeks of continuous use.
-Increase the dose of current medicines
-Change of existing medicine
-Addition of other medicine

In drug resistant cases it is important to rule out hormonal imbalance, which can also lead to anxiety and panic. If you will follow above steps under your psychiatrist supervision, you will get benefit. So, do not loose hope.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.