Dark spots developed on upper skin layer of penis to some extent. Anything serious?

Dermatologist
Question
I am married, 32 years old, current weight is 64 kg and height is 5.7. I recently noticed that dark spots are developed on upper skin layer of penis to some extent. There is no any sort problem of those dark areas. I feed it’s as normal as other parts of penis. I am just wondering if something is going wrong. Any advice would be highly appreciated
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 14 hours later
Hi, XXXXXXX

You have mentioned that you have recently noticed asymptomatic dark spots on your penile skin. It may be due to a number of conditions like post inflammatory hyper pigmentation, fixed drug eruption, fordyce spots, syringoma, milia, molluscum contagiosum, plane warts.

It is difficult to pinpoint any condition without proper visualization so it will be better if you upload images to on this query. The feature to upload the images is available on the right side of this query page.

Waiting for your reply….

Follow-up: Dark spots developed on upper skin layer of penis to some extent. Anything serious? 10 hours later
Hi Dr. Neera,

Thanks for your reply.I have uploaded pskin.pdf which contians few images of penis skin.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for uploading the images.
These have helped in narrowing down the possibilities.
These dark spots are present on the glans penis.
Since they are very small spots a single condition cannot be specified.I can think of the following possibilities:
-plane warts which are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV). Genital warts may have a smooth surface or a surface with a cauliflower appearance. They are mostly sexually transmitted. They may be treated by chemical or radio cautery.
-lichen planus characterized by very small shiny bumps which are not infectious, and respond to medical treatment. Most cases resolve on their own within a year.
-Fordyce spots which are abnormally dilated blood vessels under a thickened skin. They are not transmitted sexually.

You may write again if you have any further query in this regard.
Keep me posted.

Follow-up: Dark spots developed on upper skin layer of penis to some extent. Anything serious? 12 hours later
Hi Dr. Neera,

Thanks for your speedy replay.
Is there any test available to determine which type of condition is this?
If you could advice whom I need to approach to get the treatment that would be great. I mean dermatologist or any other specialist.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 7 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing again.

Tests are available but they may not be required. The condition can be confirmed by a detailed history and clinical examination.

You may consult a dermatologist for exact diagnosis and treatment. There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Keep me posted.

Regards.