Dark line at the cuticle of my toes. What is this?

Hi I have 2 toes that have dark line at the cuticle, on one toe it has been there for a long time. It grows out but if I push back the cuticle the line is there again. It does not hurt but my nails have grown a bit thick, like there is excess skin under the nail which makes the nail lift slightly. I went to a foot Dr. And he said it is not fungus and probably trauma. I have not hurt these toes recently or at all, I live mostly barefoot or in sandals. What could this be, and what can I do to treat it. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nail fungus or trauma Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now from the description of the nails that you have provided, the first possibility that comes to my mind is that of a fungal infection of the nails. Thickening and discoloration of the nails are two important signs of a nail fungal infection. Fungal infections of the nails of toes need long term treatment in the form of oral antifungals which need to be taken for months together. But since you have seen a doctor before who I aassume must be a dermatologist, who ruled out a fungal infection, we need to think of other possibilities also. Now similar picture can also be due to traumatic or due to other conditions like psoriasis nails. I would like to know since when do you have this problem and whether you have any other skin problem too? Also it would be helpful if you can click some close up pictures of the nails and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I will be able to help you more once you follow up with the details and the pictures. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul.