Dark brown spot on the underside of penis. Is it genital wart or HPV?

Oncologist
Question
I have a dark brown spot on the underside of my penis. It is very slightly raised and has a mole-like surface and is dry with a diameter of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. My girlfriend thinks it has been there along as she knows without changing size or shape.

Because I am afraid that it is a genetial wart or related to HPV, I applied the vinegar test. I found some rice vinegar with an acidity level of 4.2% soaked a cotton ball and held it there for about 5 minutes. It did not change color at all, let alone even close to white. I did this 2 more times with the same result.

I am going to set up an appointment after the holiday, but in the meantime, does anyone know what this could be.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 34 minutes later
Hello and tanks for the query.

Before providing additonal recommendations and an assessment of this concern I would like to ak if you could provide a photo of the area in question and send it to my attention at our secure email address YYYY@YYYY

After I review the photo I can suggest possibilities related to what you are dealing with.

Thanks again for the query. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Dark brown spot on the underside of penis. Is it genital wart or HPV? 43 minutes later
Just sent two pictures in separate emails. Let me know if you need any more.
Follow-up: Dark brown spot on the underside of penis. Is it genital wart or HPV? 6 hours later
Any ideas Dr. Galamaga?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello and thanks for sending the pictures along.

I suspect that this is a condyloma. These are caused by a virus - the human papilloma virus.

These are generally easily treated either with a topical cream or by freezing the lesion with liquid nitrogen. I am not concerned that this is any worrisome type of lesion or skin cancer. Your doctor will be able to treat this easily.

Thanks again for your query and followup with photos. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Dark brown spot on the underside of penis. Is it genital wart or HPV? 1 hour later
Is it common for a vinegar test to miss a leasion like that?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

While the vinegar test is sometimes helpful it is not 100% effective at diagnosing a wart.

The short answer to your question is that yes vinegar test frequently misses a diagnosis of one of these types of skin changes. We rely on our clinical skills and training in order to truly diagnose one of these.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have adequate follow up with your physician so that you can get this treated effectively. I am very confident that with treatment this will respond completely. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Sincerely,
Dr. Robert