Ask a Urologist   »  

Damp red penis skin, bumps, applied antifungal cream, had sex. Genital warts?

Dermatologist
Question
A few days ago I noticed that, at the base of my penis, red skin that was very damp (making it appear shiny). I was told that this could be jock itch and so I got anti-fungal cream and started applying it. Yesterday I noticed that in the same around, completely around the base of my penis, but only where the skin was red, were what looked like small pimple-like bumps. Some of these bumps had hairs growing out of them and a few were grouped together. I then read online that it could possibly be genital warts because of the bumps grouping together. The only girl I have ever had sex with said that she was a virgin when we had sex (which was two years ago) and that when she has gone to the OBGYN that they said she was fine. I am worried, though, that the bumps are a sign of genital warts. What exactly is going on with my penis?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

I would just advise you to relax.

The bumps that have hair coming out through them are just normal follicular prominences. These are present mostly on the scrotum and the base of the skin.

You are worried because you may not have noticed it earlier and now that you have Jock itch, you may be correlating things.

Still I would request you to mail me a picture of the lesion. I will have a look at it and will revert back.

Follow-up: Damp red penis skin, bumps, applied antifungal cream, had sex. Genital warts? 9 hours later
Thank you Doctor for the help.

The bumps did not start appearing until after I used the anti-fungal cream for the jock itch. I did a little more research on the matter and it appears that it could be folliculitis and that the reason for the bumps might just be blocked hair follicles from the cream. What do you think the bumps that don't have hairs coming out of them could be?

Also, I was wondering, what would genital warts look like if I had them?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing again.

The answer would still be follicular prominence and not Folliculitis.

Warts are of various sizes and shapes. They have a rough surface and are mostly grey in colour. Itching and discharge are also commonly associated findings. You can have a look on Google images.

You have a feature to upload the reports/image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better.

I hope I have answered your query.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards.