Ask a Dentist   »  

Damage to gums, bones. Wants to do DEXA scan. Will it prove I don't have dental degenerative diseases?

Degenerative Diseases: Will a DEXA prove I do NOT have degenerative disease even though I am 80 years young. I have reviewed all of the symptoms and I have NO symptoms of it and have excellent health and energy to spare. My question is whether it can affect the bones holding my teeth, an issue since a lady rear-ended me causing $11,000 repair and damage to gums and bones. Her attorney is using the excuse of degenerative disease because of my age..
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your question.

A DEXA scan will determine the bone density for you but does not declare whether you have any type of degenerative disease of the joints or the jaw. A dentist would have to make that determination by doing a panorex xray or focused xrays on your teeth to determine if you have healthy teeth and gums.

A DEXA scan does not reflect the health of your teeth or the bone at the base of your teeth as there are many factors which influence dental health including dental hygiene as well as history of periodontal disease.

Your best option would be to have a dentist evaluate your teeth and make a statement as to the overall health of your teeth in relation to your age.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Damage to gums, bones. Wants to do DEXA scan. Will it prove I don't have dental degenerative diseases? 4 hours later
P.S. The air bag did not deploy and damages to my car was approximately $3,000. However, my dentist said that upon impact as my head fell forward that I clinched my teeth. She is convinced the colllision caused the damage to my teeth resulting in extensive work on my teeth AND weakening the bones and tissues around me teeth.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

I think your dentist has made a strong statement regarding the accident and if she composes a letter reflecting her impression of your injuries your lawyer can use this in court. Legal concerns are never an enjoyable experience and I hope this clarification gives you the answers and support you need to go forward with your case.

If there are any additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Damage to gums, bones. Wants to do DEXA scan. Will it prove I don't have dental degenerative diseases? 7 hours later
My dentist has already written a letter stating my gums and bones are in good health. I have taken exceptional care of my teeth all my life with brushing, flossing, special mouth wash and prescription tooth paste several times a day, and had dental appointments every 3-6 months for my lifetime. I have never had periodontitis, gum disease, gingivitis, illnesses or drugs affecting my teeth, have never smoke or drank beer, and have NO symptoms of osteoporosis. The other insurance carrier is using my age as an excuse and is using the term "degenerative disease" to their advantage when I don't have it and my teeth and gums have always been healthy. Now they are weakened from having so much work done on them. Except for her negligence I would never have had some an exorbitant expense on my teeth. My teeth were subjected to extreme trauma. There's no question about that fact. Can you suggest an approach to their excuse of degenerative disease just because of my age? My health is extremely good and my energy unlimited. Appreciate your comments so much.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I can appreciate from the comments you have sent that you are rightfully determined to have a fair settlement in this case. Using age alone is a weak argument in my opinion and any intelligent judge or arbitrator should see through that especially if you present yourself as you have described.

Alot of this is also dependent on your legal counsel and how willing they are to argue in your favor. This can all get very expensive unfortunately as legal costs are exorbitant.

I would suggest that you address the age issue in a succinct fashion such as: assuming that one's age will reflect a certain degree of debility or degenerative disease is just that - an assumption! The client (you) has maintained an optimal degree of personal health as her physicians will attest to. The fact that the defense asserts her age as a factor in this case is not only insulting but is simply inaccurate.

You might also submit your dental records from previous years and if there are no comments about diseases of the mouth or jaw this may be considered.

As you know - some lawyers may lack integrity and I suspect that may be the case in the party you are dealing with.

I hope I have provided you with some useful suggestions once again.

Again if there are additional issues or concerns I am here for you.

Dr. Galamaga