Cyst on neck popped on presssing causing vomiting, headache. Changes of toxin release?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have (had) a cyst on my neck that started the size of a pea and it got to the size of a large grape over four months. It is approx an inch to the side of the middle of the back of my neck
I went to the doctor and was told it is because I don't sleep enough. She gave me muscle relaxers and said nothing else
Last night it was hurting and I squeezed it and it popped. The sound was awful. I got sick immediately threw up. I have had a headache since and still feel sick to my stomach. I could feel whatever was in it running down the inside of my neck.
The cyst is on the right side. And now my shoulder is hurting. I cannot go to the doctor till tomorrow.

I am curious if what I did caused a toxin to release or worse. What should I be looking for? Can you give me any insight to such a cyst.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
First there is no possibility of toxines release from such cysts because it doesnt seem to be caused by infectious or allergic agents. YOur reaction could have been caused by stress and anxiety after you squeezed it. Or there was laringeal, esophageal or neck nerves pressing in this moment.Vagal nerve irritation cause vomitning and nausea.
If this isnt congenital cyst then it sounds to me like subcutaneous cyst which shouldnt be connected to trachea and esophagus. Congenital cysts are something else...
Secondly, I am bit suprised that this wasnt evaluated by your doctors. Ultrasound and needle aspiration was at least what should have been done after you have noticed enlargement and pain. The statement that it is caused by not enough sleep is an absurdity.
It wasnt good choice to manipulate this cyst by your own because there is a risk of infection and inflammation. But now you just need to watch some sign such as redness,pus formation,pain, fever,breathing and swallowing difficulties. if you notice any of these you should visit doctor. Also if cyst recurs you should do ultrasound and biopsy first. And then it can be surgically removed.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help