Cut on the thumb knuckle that has turned extremely sore, swollen. What can be done?

I had a small cut on my thumb knuckle on Friday night. By Saturday afternoon it was itchy swollen and red. By Saturday night the 2 knuckles were extremely sore and swollen and continues to be so. It is no longer itchy and not as red as before but I suspect the some of the redness was from scratching. There is a lot of pain and swelling in the base knuckle.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
The small cut over your thumb might have got inflammed and hence the swelling and redness.
To treat the same
Do warm water compresses of the area and apply topical antibiotic cream twice in a day
To relieve pain take oral analgesic like ibuprofen
Also intake of oral antibiotic like amoxycillin or cephalosporin is advised to treat infection if any.
As these are prescription medicines, it is advised to consult a doctor nearby.
Hope that helped.