Cut hand on tripping, dirt inside cut, cleaned well, travelling. Tetanus shot required ?

Question
Yesterday I cut my hand when I tripped and dirt got into the cut
I cleaned the cut really well.
I wonder if I need a tetnus shot? I think my last one was 6 to
8 years ago. If I do need one, how long can I wait to get it?
Right now I'm traveling. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Since the wound was contaminated, there is a small chance of contracting tetanus even if you had washed the wound extremely well.

In my opinion, do not take any chances. You should get a tetanus shot within 24 hours of the injury.

You can take OTC pain relievers. Get professional treatment, if you notice prolonged swelling or severe pain.

The washing of the wound is more useful in preventing other infections rather than tetanus.

Apply topical antibiotic such as neosporin ointment on the wound after you have made sure wound was thoroughly cleaned under clean stream of water

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Cut hand on tripping, dirt inside cut, cleaned well, travelling. Tetanus shot required ? 1 hour later
I cut my hand on May 31st in the late afternoon. How soon should I get the
shot? Is there a time limit?
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

It would have been the best, if you had taken the shot within 24 hours. But considering the upper limits, you may take it within 48 hours.

Wish you good health