Cure for toothache, radiating pain from arm to shoulder and tingling sensation in fingers?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I am experiencing a lot of pain in my left arm. It feels like a tooth ache because it feels like spasms from my shoulder shooting down my arm. My forarm aches and I have tingling in my fingers that come and go. I have had this for about two months now but it is getting progressively worse. The pain is very extreme now and it is effecting my sleep and work.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Radiating pain in upper extremity most likely could be due to cervical degenerative disc disease with radiculopathy. It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the intervertebral disks.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the cervical spine under his/her guidance to look for arthritis or other changes in your spine.

Your doctor after diagnosing the condition may refer you for physical therapy. The physical therapist will help you reduce your pain using stretches. The therapist will show you how to do exercises that make your neck muscles stronger.
You can take analgesic and muscle relaxant after discussing with your doctor.
You also need some life style modification like-

Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures
Do use firm collars while traveling
Do not lift heavy weights on head or back
Do not turn from your body but turn your body moving your feet first
Do turn to one side while getting up from lying down
Do the exercises prescribed regularly
Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow
Do not lie flat on your stomach.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.