Crohns disease, hemoptysis, bleeding from mouth

ENT Specialist
Hi. I am 42 and lately i have been getting up to have just a small amount of blood in my spit. I am not coughing it up and i seem to have no other phlegm or mucous with it. It just seems to be there in my throat.. I have been on Remicade for about a year for Crohns disease . Could this be some sort if respiratory infection from the medication? I find it hard to believe it could be lung related if there is no cough at all....thanks.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 18 hours later

Well, there are many causes for this condition and it is known as Hemoptysis.

Let me discuss about this condition.

The main causes are--
1- Upper respiratory tract infection( most common).
2- Lingual tonsillitis.
3- Any injury in oral cavity.
4- Respiratory growth.

Now in your case, there is history of very small amount of Hemoptysis, that signifies only an upper respiratory tract infection.

Don't worry for this condition, you will have to take a Mucolytic, like Ambroxol 75 mg once a day.

Avoid cold diet.

Try this for next 3 days.

If still the condition persists, then consult an ENT surgeon and get laryngoscopy done, to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answer will help you, and I am ready for future follow ups ( if any).

Follow-up: Crohns disease, hemoptysis, bleeding from mouth 5 hours later
so, if it was lung related I would most likely have a cough right? Sorry I am just worried here..the blood is probably the amount of two drops.not much....then goes away for the rest of the day...sometimes i get the taste in my mouth, but i spit up nothing at all...also can i get this medication over the counter? Ambroxol 75mg.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 45 hours later

Thanks for the follow up,

Do not worry if you spit out such small amount of blood. It has no much significance unless you smoke or chew tobacco. It just infers a mild infection that too in upper respiratory tract and not lungs. Bronchus, larynx, oral cavity, nostrils and pharynx constitute epiglottis.

Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent, which is easily available. You may ask the pharmacist for a mucolytic available over the counter else he may recommend one which is within his discretion. If the problem is not resolved in two days you should see a doctor.

Hope this answer reduces your anxiety.

Wish you Good Health.