Could tuberculosis vaccine cause fever,sore throat and allergies?

About 5 months ago I was administered the tuberculosis vaccine at a correctional facility and I have noticed that from the next day after the vaccine was administered I have been getting sick, first it started with severe flu like symptoms for which I was given antibiotic for and I got better. But then about a month after that I got a sore throat and the doctor said it was because I have rhinitis and allergies but I have never had allergies and he prescribed nasal sprays. I continued with a mild sore throat and for a month now I have experienced ear pressure and I was prescribed singulair. I wanted to know if the vaccine can be causing all this because before the vaccine I would never get sick, especially because the symptoms continue. Are there any tests that I should do?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be related Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXX, Thanks for the query. It is highly unlikely that there is a current connection between these late symptoms and the TB vaccine; usually, it is well tolerated and the most common side effects are local, in terms of pain and irritation at the injection site; rarely, a person may have a transient flu like period for a couple of days. Probably some basic tests are warranted, such as a complete blood count with differential, a test called IgE (that measures if there is evidence of an allergic tendency) and a check up by a provider who can take a look at your throat and ears. Hope that is useful, wish you the best, Dr. Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic