Could there be a false positive in digital mamagram?

Apr 2014

My wife had a digital mamagram and a ultrasound She has 1 cm mass according to the digital mamagram and the ultra sound. I have heard there can be false positive in these test. On the radiorogist report he thought that it was fairly high risk of bad tumor. I f these test can be maybe not totally correct at times. Why would a radiologist put this on his report. Could this be a motivation on his part to get the patient to go to a doctor. Kind of upset. I hope there can be a little good news in your answer. thanks
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: I don't think there are chances of false positive. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM I don't think there are chances of false positive results.Lesion is confirmed by two modalities i,e by mammography and ultrasonography.Dual procedure is known as sonomammography and it is highly sensitive. You don't need to be so worried.It is important to go through the report in detail.I request you to please upload the report/images. Exact nature of lesion can only be determined by FNAC/Biopsy.However findings should also be corelated with clinical examination findings. There are clinical ways to examine the lesion.These clinical maneuvers can indicate about possible nature of lesion. Besides this there are various features in Sonomammography that indicate towards nature. I don't think any radiologist will intentionally put wrong report.This is ethically unacceptable.You should consult your surgeon first,they are the right person to guide you for further evaluation. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX