Could taking Nuvigil for several years on a daily basis affect urinary system or liver?

Nephrologist
Question
Could taking Nuvigil for several years on a daily basis affect urinary system or liver? Do you have access to medical records of people who submit questions?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: renal side effects Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Long term use of Armodafinil for sleepiness is not related with any renal side effects. But this medicine can lead to allergic phenomenon and skin lesions. It can in similar way have allergic phenomenon affecting the kidneys with interstitial nephritis. But this is more a theoritical posibility. The published literature does not support this. in trials two out of 3990 patients were reported to have polyuria . ( > 3litre urine /day) this also could not be confirmed due to the medicine. So overall no chances of renal side effects. other reported side effects: upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); depression, confusion, hallucinations, aggression, unusual thoughts or behavior. best wishes.

Follow-up: Could taking Nuvigil for several years on a daily basis affect urinary system or liver? 21 hours later
Do you or this website have access to medical records of people of who ask question? You stated that mri being done for me was for spine and neural axis ... how do you know? Do I have patient/doctor confidentiality? Are my questions open to the public? Thanks for answering.

Brief Answer: no access to medical records Detailed Answer: I can understand your concern. Do not worry i have no access to your records. In your clinical history you have mentioned MS for 15 yrs. MS is multiple sclerosis and affects the brain and spinal cord with demylinating lesions with neurological defects and waxing and waning course requiring repeated MRI of neuro axis. This would be known to any medical doctor. best wishes