Could red bump on labia be a sign of STD?

I have small bump on my labia. I tried to squeeze nothing comes out, just gets more red
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cyst or an infected follicle... Detailed Answer: Hi, Small bump on labia are not uncommon. The bump can be a cyst or an infected hair follicle. It is difficult to differentiate the two based on history alone however an infected follicle is more painful and red than sterile cyst. In all probabilities you will need to see a gynecologist for closer examination. Your doctor can decide whether or not the cyst requires surgical removal. As you plan the appointment, I would discourage you from squeezing it. Squeezing increases inflammation and chance of infection. Instead you can try warm compress and use over the counter motrin twice a day to reduce inflammation and redness. You may also want to apply antibiotic cream such as neosporin on the bump and keep the area clean. Equally important is to avoid sexual intercourse until the bump is cleared. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Could red bump on labia be a sign of STD? 3 minutes later
can it be sign of a std?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Less likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, The common STD involving labia present either as multiple vescicular (grouped bumps) or like a skin warts. If the bump doesn't match either of these description it is less likely to be STD. That being said, if you have history of unprotected sexual intercourse with an unknown partner, STD needs to be excluded by various tests (if required). Your gynecologist will know about the various tests. Hope this helps. Regards