Could fainting be a sign of atrial fibrillation?

If a female in her 80's experiences a spell of faintness and fatigue many times during the day could that be a sign of atrial fib I just read?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see below Detailed Answer: Respected Ma'm 1. A new onset Atrial fibrillation (AF) or a sudden significant increase in ventricular rate in pre-existing AF may result in fainting attack but mostly in certain predisposed individuals. They include the conditions where either the pumping capacity (ejection fraction) of left ventricle is already reduced or patient has conditions with markedly reduced compliance of left ventricle. These include aortic valve stenosis (obstruction), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or severe hypertensive heart disease (heart disease secondary to high blood pressure). 2. However multiple episodes of fainting in a day is something unusual for AF, even with these conditions. I would recommend you to visit emergency room (ER) to get yourself evaluated. This may be something more serious. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow-up: Could fainting be a sign of atrial fibrillation? 14 minutes later
I think I presented the episodes wrong. It is not faintig spells that are experience but pre fainting feeling with a sense of light head and loss of overall energy?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, AF may present like this. need ECG confirmati Detailed Answer: Respected Ma'm Definitely AF can present like this. Only way to confirm this is to get an ECG (electrocardiogram) done. The pulse in this condition gets irregularly irregular. But we must not forget that these are serious events irrespective of presence of AF or something else. My recommendation to visit ER is still same. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow-up: Could fainting be a sign of atrial fibrillation? 1 minute later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 0 minute later
Brief Answer: Welcome ma'm Detailed Answer: you are welcome Ma'm. Sincerely Sukhvinder