Could efetran cap be taken for severe leg and joint pains?

May 2014

I'm 52 yrs female. Can I use efetran cap. For severe leg & joint pains.
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Good pain killer, take with care

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Efetran cap contain diclofenac which is classified as a Non steroidal anti inflammatory drug (NSAIDS). It has good pain relieving properties and should always be taken after food. It is well tolerated by most patients.

Some doctors recommend taking an anti acid medication like omeprazole or pantoprazole about 30 minutes before meal to decrease acid formation in stomach in patients taking Efetran

It should not be taken by those who have gastritis and gastric ulcer. Severe heart, liver and kidney disease patients need to be careful. Any patient developing allergic reactions like rashes and nausea should also be careful.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any further query, please feel free to ask.

Dr Vivek
Follow-up: Could efetran cap be taken for severe leg and joint pains? 28 minutes later
Can I take efetran regularly. For how many I can continue this drug
Brief Answer:
Precautions to be taken for long term use

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

You can take Efetran regularly but under medical supervision. In most patients this medicine is well tolerated. There is no fixed time duration for taking Efetran (diclofenac) for a long duration.

Please follow guidelines below so you can get maximum benefit from the medicine:

1.     Try to take diclofenac at the same times each day to avoid missing any doses. If you do forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is nearly time for your next dose, in which case leave out the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.

2.     Your doctor may want to prescribe another medicine (anti acid formation) along with it to protect your stomach from irritation.

3.     If you are taking diclofenac for a long-term condition, try to keep your regular appointments with your doctor. This is so your doctor can check on your progress. If you have asthma, symptoms such as wheeze or breathlessness can be made worse by anti-inflammatories such as diclofenac. If this happens to you, you should stop taking diclofenac and see your doctor as soon as possible.

You must stop taking diclofenac and report to your doctor immediately:
If you pass blood or black stools, vomit blood, or have abdominal pains.
If you have any breathing difficulties such as wheeze or breathlessness.
If you have any signs of an allergic reaction such as swelling around your mouth or face, or an itchy skin rash.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr Vivek