Could an eye infection be cause of recurrent fever while teething in 6 month old ?

Hi my baby is 6 months old and over since Friday morning she has had a temperature ranging between 37.6 - 39.9 degrees centigrade. It has come down with calpol but always goes back up again a few hours later. She is also very pale although she does seem to be playing as normal. At night she has been very unsettled which is unusual for her. I took her to the doctor yesterday and he took her temperature and looked in her ears and said it was a virus of some sort. This morning one of her eyes looks watery but not red. Could an eye infection be causing the fever? I don't feel the doctor checked many things or asked enough questions. Any advice would be appreciated,many thanks, M. PS she is also teething and cut her first tooth 2 weeks ago
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 50 minutes later

From the history given it does seem that your daughter is in fact having a viral infection.

Viral infections present with fever, eye congestion and lethargy (which in turn causes lack of appetite and reduced activity). Any form of high fever or infection in the ear will cause a infant to become irritated and this might cause concern in parents.

It is very common for infants below the age of 1 year to have respiratory and nasopharygeal infections resulting in recurrent fevers. Most of these infections are viral in nature and adequate symptomatic and supportive therapy will be sufficient in resolving them.

Along with Calpol (Acetaminophen) syrup to reduce the fever, cold sponges will help to reduce the body temperature.

In addition symptomatic treatment with ear drops to reduce any pain in the ears or other symptoms will be helpful.

Some critical signs to look for include, reduced activity, excessive sleepiness or constant crying or irritability, resistant to feeding efforts, sunken eyes, etc. Presence of such signs should alert you to see a doctor for prescription of medications to control the infection.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.
Follow-up: Could an eye infection be cause of recurrent fever while teething in 6 month old ? 33 hours later
Thank you for your reply. It helps put my mind at ease. However this is now the 6th day that my baby has a raised temperature and I'm concerned about giving her infant paracetamol and infant ibuprofen everyday.
I'm staying within the recommended doses but I'm worried that this is XXXXXXX to be giving her drugs everyday. Is it normal for a fever to last so long? She seems quite happy in herself and still wants to play and have fun though,
thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later

Yes, viral fevers can last to more than a week in many cases.

The medications in question (paracetamol and ibuprofen) and in the preparations (for infants) mentioned are low doses and are the most widely used medications to control fever in most kids.

They are tested by the FDA and are found to be very safe even in infants at the recommended doses.

In case the medications are not given, the high fevers associated with viral infections, can cause severe damage to body cells including that of the brain, that can cause irreversible damage in severe cases.

I hope that this helps.