Could absence of spleen be the reason for getting affected by cold?

I have no spleen, and wonder if this is one of the reasons why, when I get a cold, or flu, including gastric flu, that I am really affected? I am also asthmatic.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Splenectomy the cause

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

A person can live without a spleen but he is will be more susceptible to bacterial infections like streptococcus pneumoniae, H influenza, etc. Your repeated flu infections including gastric flu are definitely secondary to the absence of spleen.

Here is what I suggest to you

1. Wash hands regularly and maintain good personal hygiene
2. Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day
3. Be careful and aware of people who are infected with an upper respiratory tract infections, the chances of transmission to is higher than for normal individuals
4. Speak to your doctor for immunisation options

I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me