Could Pleurisy be caused from anxiety?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have been having a lot of pleurisy and pleural effusion in my lungs, so my family doctor referred me to a pulmonary doctor. Yesterday was my appointment and they did a chest x-Ray and breathing test and their looked good. He was still worried about a blood clot so ordered a emergency ct scan and that came back normal. About a month and a half ago I had two swollen lymph nodes in my neck and my doctor put me on chafleaxin 500 mg and it cleared the one on my right side up but the one on my left side grew to 5 cm so he changed it and put me on levaflaxon 500 mg and that seemed to clear it up. I still have a swollen lymph node under my left arm pit. At that time he checked me for mono and it came up negative. He also drew blood and said my red blood count was low but everything else looked good but he said red blood count good of been low because I just had a baby at that time he was only 3 months old. I have been waking up in night sweats too. My regular doctor put me on tramodol to help with my pain 50 mg as needed. Could the pleurisy be caused from anxiety? Is there nothing that will seem to cure it? They did a echo and that came back normal too. I have also been on prednisone twice too.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Think of tuberculosis, hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for an elucidate history. Although you say pleurisy and pleural effusion, the reports of X-ray and CT scan is normal. About the lymph nodes : You can get the FNAC meaning fine needle aspiration cytology done to see what is the diagnosis. and may rule out a general disease causing all the findings you told about. The history of night sweats , recurrent pleural problems, lymph node enlargement, reduced red blood count makes me think of tuberculosis, hypothyroidism, or some other generalized disease causing all these symptoms. Pleurisy can not be caused by the anxiety. Since the reports of recent are within normal limits except a few findings which you have mentioned. Also get your blood sugar , thyroid function tests. what are your symptoms at the moment? Tell us something we can correlate . Prednisolone can sometimes of a help by reducing inflammation . All the suggested reports will lead to a proper diagnosis and proper management. regards,
Follow-up: Could Pleurisy be caused from anxiety? 27 minutes later
My symptoms at the moment is still having the pleurisy. It feels like my chest is going to explode ( tightness, pressure, and it radiates to my upper back) I'm still waking up drenched in sweat. The only lymph node that is swollen now is the one under my left arm pit. I have had the one under my left arm pit for about 9 months now. I was referred to a breast doctor at that time but since I was pregnant he didn't feel comfortable doing a biopsy because he said he thought it would go away after I had my son. He told me to come back if I get a swollen lymph node anywhere else in my body but I can't remember his name. My red blood count is still pretty low. I will ask my doctor for a blood sugar test and a thyroid function test cause I have not had that done. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Improve on blood count Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your prompt reply. Your X-ray Chest, CT scan and breathing tests are normal , yet you have this feeling of tightness, pressure and referred to the upper back. I think the Pulmonary Doctor should have definitely auscultated your chest with a stethoscope. If he has not mentioned about the asthma like thing , it is not there. So let us think of the general diseases causing such symptoms like thyroid and as I have already mentioned. Correct the Red call deficiency by oral iron and folic acid. I am sure the further tests will show-up something. If these too are normal then there is a small possibility of an anxiety causing all this. There is also a rare possibility of a spinal problem in upper thoracic region , which an MRI can only diagnose or rule out for certain. Regards,