Could I take enema for lower abdomen pain?

My stomach is really bloated, am constipated and the most intense pain is on my lower right abdomen. Is it okay to use an enema?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Enema is good; but only by medical personnel Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I can understand how frustrating and uncomfortable this can be. And the intense pain in the lower abdomen also raises concern for a possible bowel obstruction. For this reason, I would say it would be a good option to go ahead with an enema, but to be conducted only be medical personnel, and strictly not at home. I hope you understand why this will be mandatory. So, please do visit an ER, and please do not strain, as it can affect your blood pressure and if god forbid, there is an obstruction, the strain can have serious repercussions. I hope this clears your query ma'am. I hope the enema helps you and you can find relief till you can visit your doctor. Please keep in touch and let me know if there are any further developments, I am always available to help. Best wishes.