Coughing, chest pain, stomach pain. Taking treatment for chest virus. What's up?

my wife is being treated for a very chest virius she is making some pregress the coughting is uncontrobale at times this has caused pains in her lower right chest 4 hours ago when she set up in bed she had sharp in her lower rirht stomach what up thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

After going through your history I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife seems to be diagnosed as a case of viral respiratory infection and is being treated for the same. I suppose she has been investigated for the same before being diagnosed for viral infection.

2. The investigations required for diagnosis are as follows - blood investigations, chest xray/ ct scan, sputum examination.

3. In such a background, she has complaint of right lower chest pain with severe coughing.

4. For symptomatic relief she may be given a cough suppressant prescription (if coughing is dry) along with an anti inflammatory and pain reliever medicine, in consultation with her physician, for symptomatic relief.

5. The cause of this chest pain could be pleurisy(inflammation of pleura - covering of the lungs- repeat chest xray will be required if this is suspected) or could be muscular associated with severe coughing. The cause of syncope described previously could also be related to severe coughing.

6. Also you need to visit your physician if the pain does not subside within the next few hours.

7. After management of this episode of infection do consult your physician for annual flu shots and 5 yearly pneumococcal shots.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra