Cough with chorine tasting sputum, bacterial bronchitis

After a common cold I seem to have picked up from my 5 year old son I have developed a mucusy cough with XXXXXXX sputum that tastes like chlorine. Apart from feeling very tired I am otherwise fairly well (no high grade fever, sweats). I am 35 years old, a smoker and have mild emphysema due to alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency. I am very aware that I need to quit smoking and am currently working with my GP and respiratory specialist towards that goal.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
From your symptoms, it seems that you are having a lung infection- bacterial bronchitis. Smoking and emphysema make you more prone to contract such infections.
Broad spectrum antibiotics are needed to control the infection and for improvement of your symptoms. It is best to get a sputum examination and culture done to find out the causative organism so that the infection can be treated effectively.
Meanwhile doing a steam inhalation at least twice daily will be helpful. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your chest. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths and swimming also help a lot.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Cough with chorine tasting sputum, bacterial bronchitis 3 days later
Thank you so much for your reply, you were right of course :-) I went to see a doctor yesterday who diagnosed bacterial bronchitis and prescribed an antibiotic. The steam inhalation is really helping to break up the mucus and I'm starting to feel human again. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for compliments.
It really helps to boost our spirits of helping needy people online- reaching right in their homes.