Cornual fallopian tube block. Suggested IVF. What is the solution for getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
my wife has right side cornual fellopian tube block while left hand side is fully blocked.tell me the best solution for her pregnancy.her hsg done.theorid is found.my gyanologist said that we should go for ivf
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

-patency of fallopian tubes are must for natural conception,
as spermatozoa or ovum or both should pass through them for fertilization.
as both tubes are blocked intra uterine insemination or procedures like GIFT(gamete intra fallopian transfer) are also not effective.

-for success of tubal re-canalization also at least 6cms of tube should be remained after surgery, in your case it is difficult,
that too the success rate is around 30% only.

so you better go for invitro fertilization as suggested by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Cornual fallopian tube block. Suggested IVF. What is the solution for getting pregnant? 20 hours later
i could not understand that how u can say like that because one side tube has cornual blockage and tube is clearly visible except it has cornual blockage so why it cant be treated with recanalisation.i think recanalisation it can be done

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

I supported your gynecologist opinion because,

-recanalisation for block at corneal end can be done only when the tubes are blocked by mucus plug or debris, if the block is due to fibrosis this procedure won’t work,
- as both side tubes are having blocks it is indicating severity of the problem, the success of recanalisation will depend on health of mucosa and harshness of tubal damage, in case of unhealthy mucosa surgical treatment is not justified,
-recanalization cannot be employed in tubal blocks due to tuberculosis, ischemic blocks etc.
-the success rate is around 30 to 40%,
-there is chance for reblock after few months,
-if pregnancy is not achieved within 6 months of recanalization then next choice if IVF.

So because of above facts I supported her, not to disappoint you,
If you still want to go for recanalization you can go, but select good institute and after proper checkup if they say that she is a good candidate for recanalization then it would be better.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Cornual fallopian tube block. Suggested IVF. What is the solution for getting pregnant? 21 hours later
thnx doctor
i would like to clear you that my wife dont have ever tb in his past and no sexual disease too.mam we want a good healthy baby by the natural process as she is so keen for that and she is tensed too.that is why i want to go for recanalisation.i m not satisfied with my doctor as she said that tube is blocked due to abortion which is really not done.so when a doctor could not clearfy the cause of the disease how could they cure.i had talkked with several doctors,refer so many medical general and i did not found that tube is blocked due to abortion.for the time being if i consider it then also it is not acceptable to me as my wife never gone for abortion.

hi XXXXXXX,

The general causes of fallopian tubal blockage are,
-pelvic inflammatory disease,
- general abdominal conditions like peritonitis, appendicitis etc,
-endometriosis,
-congenital abnormalities, etc.

As you excluded the first two possibilities then there is possibility for next two,
As your wife is having cornual block there is possibility for congenital abnormality, proximal blocks are more common in them,
Anyhow as I told try to choose good health centre which is having previous successful history in these type of surgeries and follow their advice.