Continuous radiation was emitted throughout the night by microwave which was on "pause" mode. Is it dangerous?

Jun 2015

Hi, my husband accidentally left the microwave on "pause" overnight. I have a young child at home and I am pregnant and now I am concerned there was continuous radiation being emitted throughout the night. Is the microwave still running and producing radiation when in "pause" mode? I am very concerned. Thanks
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 47 minutes later

1. The microwave uses electricity for production of electromagnetic waves which further produces heat energy to cook/heat the food.
When it is in "pause" mode, the microwave does not function, unless there is any equipment malfunction.

2. The material which forms the cooking chamber, prevents the waves from coming out of the oven.
Even the oven window has a protective layer of conductive mesh to maintain the shielding.

3. The radiations produced by a microwave oven are non-ionizing radiations.
As a result, it does not have the risk of causing cancer as associated with ionizing radiation such as X-rays, etc.
This fact has been proved in various scientific studies.

So, keeping in consideration the above mentioned facts, there is no need to worry about the risk of radiation hazards from the microwave in pause mode.

Wishing a good health.
Please let me know if I can clarify further.