Consuming alcohol. Diagnosed with fatty liver. Diabetic. Test report showed SGOT is 122, SGPT is 129. What does this indicate?

Jan 2013

Hello Doctor,

I am consuming alcohol continuously for past few years. Yesterday I did a blood test for liver function and kidney function. SGOT is 122, SGPT is 129, Alkatile phospate is 89 and Gamma GT is 67. I had consumed alcohol just Few hours before the test. I was already diagnosed with Fatty Liver and also diabetic

What does this indicate.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of alcohol induced liver damage.

Persistent alcohol intake causes liver damage in four stages:
1) Fatty Liver
2) Alcoholic hepatitis
3) Cirrhosis
4) Hepatocellular carcinoma

First two stages are reversible with stoppage of alcohol while third and fourth stages are irreversible in nature.
Presence of elevated liver enzymes with fatty liver in ultrasound imaging denotes stage 1 liver damage and you must stop alcohol for recovery.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also consult in deaddiction center if you are not able to leave alcohol by your will power.

As you are also diabetic, alcohol quitting is must and alcohol and diabetes both may cause liver damage in future.

Meanwhile, you should take ursodeoxycholic acid, vitamin E and statins for relief of your symptoms.
Take low fat diet.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava