Constipation, vomiting, hot flashes.

Question
hi i have been constipated and throwing up for 4 days and now i am having heat flashes says my son. he is only 14
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

From what I understand your son is having constipation with vomiting from past 4 days with heat flashes.

Symptoms of recurrent vomiting and constipation can probably be due to bowel obstruction / infection. It needs to be evaluated with a detailed examination at the earliest. I encourage you to consult a doctor at the earliest.

Other causes of chronic constipation in children include:
1. Most commonly a low-fiber diet.
2. Certain medications or drugs, such as antacids, opiates, and so on.
3. Certain diseases such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis and hypothyroidism.
4. Sometimes other factors such as fear of pain / fear of public restrooms / laziness.

A changing diet that includes giving him high-fiber foods - such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables; increased amount of fluids (minimum of 2-3 glasses of water or fruit juices each day); taking laxatives and adopting healthy bowel habits will ease his digestive abilities and help in passing stools normally. XXXXXXX juice, pear and prune juice or other juices high in sorbitol are good and will help him too.

Laxatives are frequently used to clear a fecal impaction and sometimes to restore regular bowel movements. Enema or suppository under supervision of pediatrician may be necessary. Further over the counter medication like Bisacodyl syrup 2 to3 tsp at night time for 1 week might be useful to prevent constipation.

I understand that you are concerned. But if vomiting does not stop, you should take him to ER room so that a Pediatrician can see him immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Constipation, vomiting, hot flashes. 14 hours later
he stopped having heat flashes but just threw up at school and now is in bed. What should i do still send him or no?should i still send him to school or keep him home

Answered by Dr. Radhika 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If he is still vomiting, he needs to be taken to ER. The constipation should be cleared. Till the impacted stool is not passed, he will have this problem.

Do not send him to school until he recovers, take him to ER.

I wish him speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Constipation, vomiting, hot flashes. 23 hours later
i took him to a doctor and they took blood tests an x-rays the blood test is normal and waiting on x-ray. he is still feeling a stabbing pain in his stomach stopped throwing up but now has acid reflux and taking prevacid

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is good that you have taken him to a Doctor. His vomiting and pain will be reduced by taking antacids, but he will need to be manually cleared of the constipation.

If there is any obstruction, you will come to know in the X XXXXXXX Good to know blood reports are normal.

I wish him speedy recovery.

Regards.