Constipation, mucus in stool, vomiting. Diagnosed with Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma and renal failure. On chemotherapy. Are these side effects?

Question
My father has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma with renal failure. He is on his 3rd round of chemo, 2 wks on 1 wk off. Has been extremely constipated, going as long as 10 days without a BM. Has recently with last chemo been very sick & mucus vomiting & mucus leakage out of his anal.
What could be causing this?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 43 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) When was he diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and Renal Failure?
2.) How is his Appetite? It is reduced, increased or normal?

The problems which you have been noticing like, constipation, vomiting and mucus leakage are the side effects of Chemotherapy. They have to be treated symptomatically. Speak to his Oncologist. Constipation happens, if there is not enough fluid in the body, poor intake of dietary fibers due to reduced appetite, Sedentary lifestyle and if he is confined to bed.

Since he has not had a Bowel movement for 10 days, he should be given a Barium Enema. If it doesn't help, manual or surgical evacuation should be done. Your Doctor shall also prescribe him laxatives and stool softeners.

Follow these steps for his bowel care:

1.) Give him food XXXXXXX in fibers like, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) He should be doing regular exercises like brisk walking. Physical activity can help stimulate intestinal activity.
3.) He should drink plenty of water, Drinking plenty of water and other fluids will help soften stool.
4.) He should not ignore the urge to have a bowel movement, if he gets.
5.) He should stick to his treatment plan. Take him for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish him Best of Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Constipation, mucus in stool, vomiting. Diagnosed with Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma and renal failure. On chemotherapy. Are these side effects? 16 hours later
He was diagnosed with MM & RF 9 wks ago, was given 6-12 mo. without treatment.
His appetite has been greatly reduced.

His oncologist did not give enema, which I thought should have been done. They said milkomagnsia & tums.

My father was admitted into the hospital this morning and they think he might have a infection in his bowels.

Thank you for your response.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

You can speak to his Oncologist and ask for a Barium Enema and other options if Oral Laxatives are not helping him have his Bowel Movement. Give him a Glass of warm water after every dose of Milk of Magnesia, before going to bed. This will help him have a Bowel Movement early next day morning.

Follow the lifestyle modifications as I had advised earlier.

See to it that he sticks to his treatment plan and goes for regular follow up.

Wish him Best of Health once again.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.