Constipation, cannot wear bra without pain, bloating after eating, have GERD, done physical therapy. Any ideas?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi there, I'm a 27 year old female, 5'4 or so and 238 lbs. That sounds overweight and I could stand to lose a few pounds but I'm mostly muscle thankfully and fairly active. In 2005 I began eating healthier but then I gained weight, became constipated...slowly my bra started hurting really badly. Over the next couple of years I felt like I always had a bra one when I didn't. There was a raised "band" around the front of me under my breasts. Eventually, since about 2007, I was no longer able to wear a bra at all without terrible terrible pain and it inhibiting my breathing. Through chiropractic and acupuncture the band has gone away but I still have lots of pain. I've found now that if I dig under my ribs it pops a little like cartilage and then I can breathe better and pain goes down. When I eat the pain can get worse and my stomach can bloat and get hard. I have been diagnosed with GERD but I believe I have that part mostly under control. It's the diaphragm that just feels too high up under my ribs and I feel like all my organs are just squished under one really seems to know. My acupuncturist does visceral manipulation and moves it all back down for me and that provides relief but only for a few days and then the pain is back. Is anything able to give permanent help? I don't believe it's my weight or diet. It's not my gallbladder, thyroid, constipation etc...I've also done physical therapy. Any ideas? Can your diaphragm get stuck on your ribs?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Here are few facts you should be aware of while coming to a clinical impression

All the organs in the abdomen are well placed no organ needs to be placed back by visceral manipulation

Yes the constriction in the chest wall and obesity clubbed together can make the breathing difficult

The pain and bloating after meals are classic of non ulcer dyspepsia

There is some element of indigestion and we usually observe this when patients have collitis along with gastritis

Gerd is also secondary to gastritis and dyspepsia

I would suggest you take a good probiotic for seven to ten days and follow these tips to control Gerd

A lot of pressure on the diaphragm is due to distended stomach and it the post prandial discomfort persisits you will need to get an endoscopy done

Here are the tips :
1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] Lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon