Constipated after irregular bowel movements, pain in lower back and legs. Is taking movicol enough?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hey, Im 20 year old male. I have been constipated for the last 5 days, and before that I have had very irregular bowel movements. I have pain in my back passage as well shooting down both of my legs, lower back, and across my shoulder blades. I have taken some Movicol that was left from when I was diagnosed with constipation earlier in the year. How long should I wait before seeing a GP? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Constipation associated with rectal pain shooting down to legs and back might be due to
1)The presence of vascular deformities like hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse or inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn’s disease.
2) Proctalgia fugax: It is episodic anal pain that occurs due to contraction of the anal muscles. Treatment involves warm sitz baths and over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen.
3)Levator ani syndrome: Levator ani is group of muscles that surrounds and supports the anus. Spasms of these muscles are believed to cause rectal pain.
Some suggestions for you:
1.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms. You should drink plenty of water, avoid soda and alcohol which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
2.Eating smaller meals may lessen the incidence of pain.
3.Low fat and high carbohydrate meals such as pasta, rice, and whole grain breads may help.
If your condition does not improve with these minor lifestyle changes in next 3-4 days then consider to get a per rectal examination and investigations like colonoscopy, nerve conduction velocity and ultrasound done to confirm the diagnosis. kindly visit your primary physician and if required he might refer you to a surgeon.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.