Constant itching behind ear resulting in swelling of ear, glandular swelling in neck, swelling on face. Cure?

hi, I have had a constant itching behind my r ear... of course I have scratched it, nothing satisfies the itch or stops it. It has progressed to a swelling of the ear, glandular swelling in neck and behind ear.....that has resolved and now the side of my face is red hot and swollen. and traveling towards forhead and cheek. very painful with itching
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 hours later

Thanks for your query
I understand your concern and hope I will be able to help you for the same

You seem to initially have seborrheic eczema behind the ears associated with itching.
It would be really helpful if you can click a close up picture of the affected area and upload it here on this page or mail it to my attention. I will be able to access XXXXXXX sent to attachments@healthcaremagic. Please send your mail to this address with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Geetika"

Now from your description, I can make out that the skin rash has now spread to the face and is associated with itching. You seem to have developed a localized infective process starting from the eczema.

Firstly, avoid using any kind of oils or moisturizing creams over the affected area.
Do not use any harsh things like dettol over the face. Just wash the affected area with lukewarm water using a mild cleanser like cetaphil lotion and apply a topical steroid-antibiotic combination.

You will need to take oral antihistamines and painkillers to reduce the swelling and pain. You can take something like benadryl twice day along with paracetamol.

A short course of oral antibiotics like azithromycin once a day for 5 days may be essential.

Avoid exposure to direct sunlight for sometime as it can lead to aggravation of the skin rash. You can however use a sunscreen and cover face as much as possible whenever you go out.
Do not use any kind of hair colors /dyes, in case you use, any till the time the rash subsides.

Hope this helps
If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul