Condom broke during intercourse. Believes to be fertility period. What to do?

Hi, my girlfriend and I just had intercourse, unfortunately, the condom broke and I ejaculated in her. We went to get Postinor2 within that hour, but she seems rather down and worried since she believes that its her fertility period and Postinor2 might not be effective for her. Seeking your professional advice on this.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Emergency pill is highly effective at 95%.

Detailed Answer:

Postinor 2 has an efficacy rate of 95% if taken within the first 24 hours. The second dose should be taken exactly at 12 hours of the first dose. It is presumed that the pill delays ovulation if taken prior to ovulation and interferes with passage of sperms and ovum if taken after ovulation.

So, there should not be any worry regarding the possibility of conception as the medication has been effectively consumed. She may experience some breakthrough bleed shortly after this, within a week and her next cycle may be delayed by a week or two. If there is any further delay, you should see a specialist.

Please try to use additional regular form of contraception in future as the use of the emergency pill cannot be done more than a couple of times a year in view of the highly disturbing hormonal imbalances that may hamper future fertility.

Hope your query is answered. Please contact for more information. I will be happy to help.