Concerned about small insects living on body causing itching and pain.

Question
I am concerned that a group of extremely small insects are living on my body, causing me anything from itching to sharp sudden pain and making it extremely difficult for me to concentrate.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Radhika 43 minutes later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. From how long do you have this kind of sensation and itching?
2. Are there any rashes on your body?
3. Are you under any medication, supplements, and drugs?
4. Where is the itching and pain present in your body?
5. Are you under any stress, illness?

Please mail the reports /pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject: ATTN: Dr. Radhika XXXXXXX Please do confirm by writing here so as to reply you back at the earliest.

Awaiting your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Concerned about small insects living on body causing itching and pain. 17 hours later

A: For about 5-6 weeks. It started when I got a quilt back from the cleaners that seem to have some infestation in it.

2. Are there any rashes on your body?

A: Yes, but this is not unusual. My legs usually get rashes in the winter.

A: I only occassionally use Advil for headaches (not related to this condition).

MEP: Itching is most commonly in my upper legs, but frequently I will experience biting sensations all over my bodies most often, unfortunately, in my genitals.

5. Are you under any stress, illness?

MEP: Not ill and under no unusual stress.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

There is a probability that you may have been infected by bugs. There are many causes for this; the most common will be Scabies, bed bugs, fleas, allergic reaction to contact with specific chemicals, body louse, insect bites such as those from mosquitoes. There is a probability it could be due to scabies.

You can first wash the area with warm soapy water. Then apply a hot washcloth to the area for 10 minutes, then apply diluted Betadine solution over the area and let it dry for two minutes. Thoroughly wash off all Betadine and apply over-the-counter ointment like Cortaid over the area. You can also use Tablet Benadryl twice daily for 5 days for the itching.

Also wash the clothes you have used till now with disinfectant and hot water .You will also have to get examined by a Dermatologist if the itching and pain does not subside. If it is due to scabies not only you your whole family should undergo treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Regards.