Complete blood work done, values seem to have gone down. Leukamia or cirhossis?

Hi- I had a complete blood work done April and my white blood cell count was 15.4, it was alittle higher in Feb. and alittle higher in Dec. and now I have an appt. with a hemotologist to see what's going on. My absolute lymphocytes were 10.5 in April. I feel great, no symptoms of any kind. Is there a chance I don't have anything serious wrong since the numbers are going down? I'm worried it's leukemia or chirrosis.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is possible that a slightly elevated white blood cell count may not represent a serious disorder. What is important to recognize is the actual trend in the account as well as some specific things which can be found within the complete blood count results

One of the things that is important is to see if there is any change in your hemoglobin or your platelet count. If these are normal then more attention can be taken to focus on which type of white blood cell is elevated. If you have the ability to review your blood test you can send a copy of it to my attention for examination.

I agree with the referral to a hematologist. This physician will be able to look at the results in detail and provide additional Recommendations regarding any further testing that might be needed.

There are some disorders which cause a mild elevation of the white blood Cellcom. Some of these disorders are not immediately life-threatening and can be followed for many many years without any need for treatment. At the same time I think it is a good idea for you to have a hematologist look at your results and have a pathologist review Your blood cells under the microscope to evaluate for any potential abnormalities.

If there is not a clear answer as to why you have a mild elevation of your white blood cell count it bone marrow biopsy might be considered.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga