Complains of abdominal pain, uneasy and vomiting. Abdominal ultrasound, stool and urine test normal. Symptoms of any serious condition?

hello sir, my father is of age 61 sometimes complain that he feels uneasy (like gas/indigestion). Sometimes vomiting is also there. He also felt a bit pain in abdomen. He also says that he feels a bit comfortable when he exerts gas. He consulted the local doctor and they advised the abdominal ultrasound and stool and urine test. The report was normal and the doctor advised to continue some medicine for gastritis. When he don't take the medicine again he does the same complain. Also if he take some spicy food he feels the same and vomiting happens sometimes. Sir I am very much afraid. Is it the symptoms of any serious condition like cancer etc ??? What should be done next ???
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXX...,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The symptoms are most commonly suggestive of gastric upset secondary to acid peptic disease. At times in elderly persons gut cancers also cause similar problems.
He should take the antacid therapy for full two months strictly.
To be on safer side he should consult a physician, get an endoscopy by a gastroenterologist and also get a serum CEA levels to rule out malignancy and confirm diagnosis otherwise.
I hope the advise will be helpful.
Follow-up: Complains of abdominal pain, uneasy and vomiting. Abdominal ultrasound, stool and urine test normal. Symptoms of any serious condition? 2 minutes later
thank U sir. What is this serum CEA level test and it is the test of blood or how it is done ? And is endoscopy a painful test ???
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
The endoscopy is performed through mouth by passing down a camera riding on a fiberoptic pipe.
It is not painful but a certain discomfort is there for which mild sedation drug is given.
The CEA is a tumor marker tested in blood. It's levels are raised in certain gut cancers.
I hope the advise will be informative and helpful for you.