Competitive weight lifter, weight training. Liver test shows high SGOT, SGPT. Liver damage?

Hello. I had a clinical chemistry panel done this week and have high SGOT (125 U/L) and SGPT (66 U/L). I know this can be a sign of liver damage, but I also am a competitive powerlifter and train with heavy weight lifting several times per week. Could muscle damage from training cause this, or should I be concerned and pursue follow up testing? I am 36 years old. I am a light drinker, but now plan to stop completely.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

In your case both SGOT and SGPT are raised. If there is only increased SGOT then it could have been due to muscle damage.

The SGOT/SGPT ratio of near 2 suggests the raised enzymes to be due to alcoholic hepatitis.
They return in normal range after stoppage of alcohol.

As in your all tests are negative except raised SGOT & SGPT level then cause of liver dysfunction most probably is alcohol use and you should stop its use gradually to recover.

In usual cases without complication liver enzymes return to normal within few months but there is gross individual variation regarding exact duration.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Competitive weight lifter, weight training. Liver test shows high SGOT, SGPT. Liver damage? 2 hours later
I average 2-3 alcoholic beverages per week, although will be stopping that completely. Because I am such a light drinker, I am wondering if something else could be responsible for these elevations. Should I be tested for viral hepatitis?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

In case of viral hepatitis, SGOT/SGPT ratio is less than one. The levels you have are not suggestive of a viral infection.

Getting a test done for viral hepatitis infection will help in reducing your anxiety regarding the cause of raised enzymes.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.