Colon wall become swollen after having food. is this diveriticulitis?

Yes Hello,
I was looking up what might be when I eat food not all just meat my colon wall feels swollen and it seems to bubble up to my brain. I have good bowl movements enough to lknow I am not constipated. I am going to get a colonic. Does this soud like diveriticulitis?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 10 minutes later
this does not sound like diverticulitis, as this is usually a combination of lower abdominal pain, fevers and usually diarrhea, which is abrupt.
I see you mention you are allergic to wheat, and it is possible that foods in your diet are the culprit of your symptoms.
You should do an elimination diet and try to identify which meals provoque your symptoms and try to avoid those. Usual offenders include gluten containing products and lactose products.
There are many other causes for you to have bloating, or feel swollen. These include medication side effects, bacterial overgrowth, bowel dismotility, etc. You should seek help from a gastroenterologist and nutritionist for further recommendations.
You are almost 50 years old, therefore a colonoscopy is indicated to look for colon polyps, however this is unlikely to find the source of your symptoms.
Hope that helped, let me know if you have any further questions.