Cold and upper chest congestion, painful lump in the armpit. Is the lump due to cold?

For over 2 weeks i have had a bad cold and upper chest congestion. Well around that time i felt sore under my left upper armpit. When i went to touch it was alittle sore and hard. I am 42 years of age. Do u think this lump is from my cold. I keep pressing on it so it is really sore now.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 45 minutes later

The soreness that you are feeling in your left armpit could result from the following conditions:
• Enlarged, tender lymph nodes in this area. The lymph nodes are enlarged secondary to the infection that you have been suffering from
Chest pain due to involvement of the pleura by the infection.

As more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Does the pain increase with cough or with breathing in?
b. Do you have any associated fever?
c. What is the medication that you are currently taking for this condition?

The enlarged, tender lymph nodes would subside once the respiratory tract infection subsides. You can observe them for sometime.

It is important to get the breast examination along with mammogram at least once a year to check for lumps.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Cold and upper chest congestion, painful lump in the armpit. Is the lump due to cold? 8 hours later
So u dont think this is cancer
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

It is unlikely that the soreness in your armpit is because of cancer.

Cancer does cause an enlargement of the lymph nodes when it spreads to them, but typically the enlarged lymph nodes secondary to cancer are not painful.

This soreness should subside in 7-10 days after the infection in your chest resolves.
If it still does not go away, please contact your prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.