Codine, cocodamol, diclofenac prescribed; detected cocaine.

hi,,,,,i had a drug test at work and proved posotive for cocain. the problem is i dont do cocain. but i am on precsribed drugs that my company says yes they were in your systm too . codine,,,cocodamol,,,,diclofenac. ....i have prescriptions to prove this. i have a ruptured disc in my back and have also taken piankillers that my freind brought back from thailand company say if i can prove i may have taken something els to give a possitive for cocain then they may take that into mind. can you help
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

This is a serious issue. I see two scenarios:
1. The test result is false, which is quite possible (machines can sometimes go wrong). Please ask for a repeat test.

2. The pain killers that you got from Thailand may well contain Cocaine. Many a times local made or indigenous pain killers contain opioids as they are powerful analgesics. Though cocaine is not really an opioid, the drug that you are using may contain it owing to its pain relieving and mood elevating properties. I suggest you to get your pain killers tested too in a laboratory.

feel free to ask any other question if you have.