Clusters of dark coloured moles on the shaft of penis. Am I having HPV?

I think I have HPV, there are clusters of dark colored moles on the shaft of my penis. most are by themselves, one appears to be in a cluster of 5, with a total of about 11. I haven't noticed any immediate multiplication of the marks, but it does seem over long periods of time, i do have a few extra. None of the marks are raised significantly, they appear flat but when rubbed against there is a noticeable small raise. I haven't been tested yet, but plan on doing so. Is there anything in the meantime I can apply to help with the problem. a topical application or an antibiotic of some sort?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Warts do have a flat appearance and can be flesh colored or slightly darker as you indicated. They are associated with HPV. There are many different types of HPV and when you are tested your doctor will be able to tell you which specific type is causing your infection. In most cases it is caused by type 6 or 11.

There are different types of treatment and what is chosen depends on the size,the exact location, the number of lesions and your preference.

There are topical creams available but may require a prescription but you can speak to your local pharmacist if warts is confirmed. They are: (1) podofilox solution which you would put on twice a day for 3 days then stop for 4 days. After the 4 days you would restart application for another 3 days. This would be done a total of 4 times
This is used if the area of skin involved is less than 10 cm squared

(2)imiquimod- this is applied once a day, 3 times a week for up to 16 weeks. When applied the area should be washed off 6 to 10 hrs later

(3) sinecatechin - applied 3 times a day for up to 16 weeks

If these are not affective you may op to have them surgically removed or use cryotherapy.

An antibiotic cream would not helpful because warts are caused by a virus and an these creams only treat bacterial infections.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Clusters of dark coloured moles on the shaft of penis. Am I having HPV? 11 minutes later
Is there anything else it could be besides HPV?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Hi, HPV is the main cause for these types of lesions .
Other causes of genital lesions would be herpes but these would normally be associated with painful lesions that resemble small blisters.

Lichen planus is a condition that can cause penile lesions which are flat, shining red to violet in colour.It can resolve on its own or a mild topical steroid can be used.It is caused by inflammation.

Psoriasis can also cause penile lesions in some men.

benign papules can also occur, these do not require any particular treatment.

Very rarely lesions of the penis can indicate more serious conditions such as cancer but this is rare.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow-up: Clusters of dark coloured moles on the shaft of penis. Am I having HPV? 2 minutes later
Thank you for the quick responses. One last, when treated, should I expect them to go away? Will they return on their own? I guess I'm curious if this is something I should expect to live with for the rest of my life?
When treated warts can take up to 3 to 4 months to disappear in some persons but it varies from individual to individual. It may re occur at some point but there is an interval with no symptoms at all

You can ask anything else