Cluster headache cured after taking isoptin and deseril. Stopped deseril and getting headache. Any advice?

Nov 2013

Hi, I am a 28 year old male who was diagnosed with Cluster Headaches two years ago. To make the cluster attacks stop, i was put on two medications, isoptin 240mg per day and deseril 3mg per day. Once these cluster attacks stopped, i was told to cease taking the Deseril and continue taking the Isoptin to prevent future attacks occurring. Well everything has been fine until last week, where i have had a cluster headache attack everyday for the past 9 days. I am now getting them 3 times a day. I started taking the deseril medication 5 days ago but it has had no effect. I was told the Isoptin medication that i have been taking everyday for the past two years was meant to stop these attacks occurring. Are you able to offer any advice on what i should do as i need these attacks to stop desperately. Thanks for your time. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand the discomfort you are facing on account of daily severe headaches.

For headaches to stop, following are the options:

1. Tablet Sumatriptan
2. Inj Sumatriptan (can be given in ER)
3. Oxygen therapy- inhalation of 100% oxygen through a mask (can be done in ER setting)

For prevention of cluster headaches, in addition to Isoptin, following other medications may be used:

1. Steroids- prednisolone tablets
2. Lithium carbonate tablets
3. Divalproex sodium tablets.

Please discuss these treatments with your doctor.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist