Clogged hair follicle on lower eyelid. No swelling or conjunctivitis. Treatment?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
How do I treat a clogged lower eyelid hair follicle. No swelling or conjunctivitis. Has been there for about 2 months
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later

There can be several possibilities in the above case. Common ones being:
1) Folliculitis
2) Milia

I will be able to guide you better if you can upload the pictures (in good resolution) here. You can also send them to

YYYY@YYYY

with the subject line as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'

I will be eager to answer any follow up queries that you have.

Best wishes,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS

Follow-up: Clogged hair follicle on lower eyelid. No swelling or conjunctivitis. Treatment? 6 hours later
This is the best photo I was able to get. It is shown in the picture as a small, yellow appearing pimple on the lower eyelash lid area. Hope this helps...Thank you for your help in this matter.

Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 13 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

I have gone through your picture.

It appears to be a Milia formation on the eyelid. They are formed when keratin is trapped under the outer layer of the skin, forming a tiny cyst. It is visible as a whitish, minute, hard swelling.

The process to remove a milia is very simple .It is removed with the help of a fine needle. With this needle, it is opened and the contents are removed. A simple and often painless office procedure. Often you will be asked to apply an antibiotic cream after the procedure for a few days to prevent infection.

The site of the milia in you needs special care being so close to the eye.
You may visit an eye surgeon or dermatologist and get it extracted. It can be accomplished in a day’s visit.

If you do not have any further clarifications, you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,
DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS